Opposed views alkaline water
FAQ’s | Alkaline activated water | Water Filters | Water Treatment
The FAQ video interview about alkaline activated water is presented in detail by Mr. Asenbaum to deeply understand the subjects of water and water treatment. The video shows the most important questions and answers, which still cause doubt, for example: the subject about water and stomach acids. Below you will find our pool of collected FAQ’s and you can also browse through our FAQ database.
To receive the full presentation seen in the video, please fill out our contact form.
FAQ’s | Alkaline activated water | Stomach acids
On this website you can submit your new questions. Please look through our complete FAQ database beforehand:
A categorised overview of all our Frequently Asked Questions about alkaline, electro-activated water, hydrogen water, opposed views, technical questions and answers, proof from experiments
The following questions and answers have been very kindly compiled by author and researcher Karl Heinz Asenbaum over the last 12 years (!) and these are continuously updated and extended. These FAQ’s and a few more dealing with the subject of water and water treatment can be found in German on his knowledge database.
Opposed views alkaline water
In an article by Mrs Jan Roberts, in the Nexus Magazine, issue 19, it is claimed that drinking alkaline water causes health problems. Is this true?
- The quoted article from the Australian pharmacist Jan Roberts, from 2008, is titled: Is alkaline water healthy? It appeared before in English in the magazine Informed Voice and quite surprised the water ionizing branch, since this was the first big attack on this technology from a pharmaceutical perspective. It was investigated and it became clear that Mrs Roberts was employed for a filter company and therefore must have seen a rival product in alkaline water, an interest that she had kept secret. It is still worth it to deal with her arguements seriously, since you can reflect on what the manufacturers and distributors of water ionizers have placed and are placing thoughtlessly into the world. Historically seen, the article of Mrs Roberts has contributed to a conceptual clarification and education in Germany of the nowadays established definition “alkaline activated water”. I would like to go through the article point for point, even if my reasoning should repeat itself or overlap. I will cross reference where useful.
- Mrs Roberts begins with a criticism of the inaccurate definition “alkaline water”, which back then was dominant. Since the English speaking world was in tune with the Japanese inventors and researchers about “alkaline water”, many sales representatives had ignored a quickly growing market, everything that can make water alkaline. Even though this all depends on its composition, most think only about minerals. Gases do influence the pH value in liquids much more. The solubility of these gases depend on the temperature. Acidic carbon dioxide has practically disappeared from the water when at more or less 60 degrees, so that a hot bath is mostly alkaline, an “alkaline bath salt additive” is not needed. Most of these additives don’t make water alkaline at all, yet rather acidic.
- To professionally measure the pH value of water, it should be, as a rule, degased beforehand. This does not happen when reviewing water ionizers, so you don’t have an absolutely correct pH value. This criticism is objectively correct, yet, as a result, doesn’t change much, since tap water, which is used as a measurement comparison, is also not degased previously. Furthermore, consumers usually don’t degas drinks beforehand. Acidic gases do not play a role when assessing drinks.
- Moreover Mrs Roberts makes a reference, that a pH value is a relative value between acids and bases, so a relative strength of two counterparts, yet says nothing about their individual endurance, which is called buffering capacity. Without a buffering capacity a pH value in water means nothing. This is correct, as well as completely trivial. Mrs Roberts calls the buffering capacity of alkaline water low, as opposed to a strongly buffered hydrochloric acid. This is also correct and with regard to alkaline activated water was already analysed scientifically in the 90’s. An alkaline activated water practically does not sink the pH value of an active stomach. But Mrs Roberts neglects to ask the question, where does the buffering capacity really lie with alkaline water. This also depends on the grade of mineralisation, for there is very soft alkaline activated water and very hard alkaline activated water, which features a higher buffer. It also depends on which type of minerals are ionized together with the activated water.
- Yet Mrs Roberts simply wrote the unevaluated sentence, which has been heard countless times from advocates of reverse osmosis, in which she untruthfully claims: “The mineral content of common tap water is negligible. The alkalinity effect is too small, to be measurable.” (Page 13). It really seems to be like that in Mrs Roberts Australian home land, for there one is mainly instructed to use rain water cisterns or one uses desalinated sea water. It seems though, that Mrs Roberts has never grappled with the facts of European drinking water analysis.
- Lets take the water of the three biggest cities in Germany and observe the 4 most important buffering relevant minerals:
- It is quite obvious that from drinking 2 litres daily of common tap water in the 3 biggest cities of Germany you have an intake in quantities of alkaline generating minerals, which with calcium are one seventh to one fifth of the daily recommended allowance. Mrs Roberts considers this not measurable and negligible. Nevertheless you reach a noteworthy calcium gain, without biting into a calorie rich, fat cheese!
- We still have not talked about alkaline activated water, who’s mineral content during the procedure of electrolysis at the cost of the acidic water gets compressed. A controlled measurement in Munich with freshly produced alkaline activated water pH 9,5 from tap water has a gain of 30 mg calcium and 10 mg magnesium!
- One entry from one of Mrs Roberts quoted keywords “Gesundheit” and “Basisches Wasser” (health and alkaline water) in Google gave on the 23rd July 2013 around 9000 results. The entry of the same keywords in English “health” and “alkaline water” lead to 1,51 million results. One has to ask how long did Mrs Roberts research for her article. Thereby the term “alkaline water” due to its inaccuracy is not the term one should be looking for. If you type in today’s standard terms in quotation marks, you obtain following results:
- Even the term “activated water” delivers before the release of this book 5500 extraordinarily interesting hits.
- Yet Mrs Roberts asks on page 14 of her article the rhetorical question: “Is there scientific evidence?” Yet she doesn’t engage herself with the 117.000 results, which Google, on the 16.9.2013, shows under the search terms “alkaline water”, “studies”, “scientific”. Alone in the year 2013 there were already 258 results in Google from the term “scholar”. Mrs Roberts ignores those plain and simple and talks about the “statement of the manufacturers”.
- The same ignorance is illustrated by the quoted American bestseller author Andrew Weil on page 15, who is mistaken or is consciously lying when he says in 1999: “This mindset is not supported by any kind of scientific analysis”. Even the many studies from many Russian water researchers through Prilutzky and Bakhir with 165 scientific sources; these statements were published 2 years before Mr Weil’s testimony in English. —> Russian research. Also the Japanese and Korean research was known in the USA since 1990 from the book “Reverse Aging”, by S. Whang, which today is still a bestseller in many countries. Also the German electrolyte water therapy – since 1938 registered in Germany as a specialty medicine – was already published in English in an article by Albert A. Riedel. Mr Weil had only to read the sources. For some time we haven’t heard anything from him about this topic, yet his statements from 1999 are still eagerly quoted by opponents of water ionizing.
- A further authority is quoted on page 14 by Mrs Roberts, the “Health Department of the University of Columbia, USA”. This claim could not have done without a certain amount of boldness. Should one research the given source (http://tinyurl.com/6x82j5), then you do not stumble on to an official statement, but rather on to a blog of a certain “Alice” from 9.6.2006, who describes the whole procedure of acid/base balance with school textbook level to a healthy person and doesn’t even go into activated alkaline water or chronic hyperacidity
Excerpt from the book “Karl Heinz Asenbaum: Electrically activated water – An invention with extraordinary potential.”
Copyright 2016 www.euromultimedia.de
Link to this post | Is alkaline water healthy?
Andrea G.: Yesterday a representative was at my house and measured the water of my water ionizer. It definitely has more ppm than tap water! I thought the filter removes all contaminants! Now the man says it could be more and he recommends a reverse osmosis system.
- PPM means Parts Per Million. With a conductivity metre you can measure the number of all dissolved particles. Often the conductance is also shown in microsiemens. He says something about the amount, not the quality of the water components. 5 ppm lead, quicksilver, uranium or cadmium can be catastrophic, 1000 ppm calcium in comparison is perfect! Whoever wants to judge the quality of water with a measurement of conductance, is either completely uninformed or purposefully does not tell the truth, for to advertise —> reverse osmosis, I refer to this in another section.
- Where does the increase in ppm come from, even though the water before electrolysis is filtered and like that the contaminants are removed? In the cathode chamber minerals build up from 2 litres of water in 1 litre alkaline activated water. Aside from some filters also adding —> calcium, because it is good for us and for the buffering of activated water. That is why it has mostly more ppm, yet fewer contaminants, which can be measured in alkaline activated water.
- Last but not least I have to point out that with the conductance solely electrolyte, hence ions can be measured in the water, electrically neutral atoms cannot.
- Furthermore you should consider, that the very bad contaminants like lead, quicksilver or uranium, also hormones and antibiotics in minimal amounts are very harmful. Heavy metals are measured in micrograms, whilst the good metals like calcium, magnesium or potassium are measured in milligrams, so the order of magnitude is a thousandth bigger. If a filter can remove ppm from the water, it does not mean by a long way that the “evil” ones were removed.
Hendrik L.: My medical practitioner says that as soon as alkaline activated water comes into contact with the stomach acid, it is immediately neutralized and is ineffective and that due to alkaline water the stomach acidifies even more and as a result the entire intestine becomes over-acidified as well. Please shed some light on these statements.
Some naturopaths read the magazine “Nexus” and in this regard are unsettled by an article by the Australian pharmacist Jan Roberts, who has made these claims. Please read more in detail under this link.
The fact is that neither the gastric pH is significantly reduced by drinking alkaline activated water in the recommended pH 9.5 range nor is the pH window for the effectiveness of digestive enzymes out of range.
Also contrary to Sang Whangs allegations, no additional acid production is boosted. The latter can, however, occur at pH values above 10.5, which Sang Whang has inexplicably recommended. This is completely contrary to alkaline activated water and is outside natural pH ranges, as is reflected by the drinking water regulations.
A so-called acid rebound, a provocation of gastric acid, on the other hand happens very quickly in case of prolonged ingestion of mineral-based alkali powders.
When alkaline water enters an empty stomach, it virtually doesn’t react. Instead the water glides away over the so-called gastric canal – quickly through the pylorus into the duodenum, where it largely arrives unmixed with the gastric juice.
Only a part of the negative redox potential is transmitted to the gastric juice.
Hiltrut G.: When staying many years ago in Bad Fussing I learned at a lecture by Dr. Walter Irlacher about alkaline activated water and acquired a water ionizer. I drink alkaline water regularly ever since and have also recommended this water to others and even given it away. Now my son in law came across an article on the Internet: “Alkaline water – a business idea with harmful consequences” published on 09.11.2013 by VISION AQUA by Hans-Peter Bartos, in which alkaline water is depicted as unhealthy and harmful. We are now totally confused whether we can continue to drink alkaline water.
On the mentioned website that you visited, Best-Water distribution, I was not able to find this article. Such sniper actions against activated water by advocates of reverse osmosis and swirlers have a certain tendency to migrate, since they could also be prosecuted under competition law because of their false allegations.
Nevertheless, I know this article, because it was also repeatedly sent to me with a similar request. I have already gone into detail with the core arguments in the articles: Tödt, Roberts, Mister Water,Twister, and reverse osmosis. I now will certainly only grapple with new arguments presented by German Engineer Hans-Peter Bartos.
I can’t blame Mr. Bartos that he deals critically with “alkaline water”, since newly so many inflationary terms have flooded the market terminology. He says in his article quite rightly, that everyone could produce such a water without expensive electrolyzers very cheaply even by admixing pure water with a few crumbs of caustic soda or caustic potash.
But the alkalinity is just the saturation side dish of electrochemically activated water and certainly not what is on the main menu. Also a lye, like the one Mr. Bartos wants to make with caustic soda, one could refer to as “alkaline water”. But there is something missing in this equation: Activated Water. This arises solely from electrolysis.
Bartos continues: “Tap water contains naturally, depending on the area, other substances such as calcium sulphate (gypsum), which is then decomposed by electrolysis into calcium hydroxide (slaked lime) and sulphuric acid.”
Here Bartos overlooks that gypsum and hydrated lime are solids, while calcium cations and sulphate anions are a completely normal part in an aqueous solution in many German mineral, medicinal or tap waters. You can find this on practically every bottle of mineral water when you look up anions and cations in the content.
Yet this has nothing to do with water ionizers! The ions are only the means to an end, to produce a very high surplus of electrons, an ORP in the water which is therefore called activated water, or “electrochemically activated water” (ECA).
Bartos does not recognise what is involved with activated water when he writes: “It is even argued that a liter of treated “alkaline water” has the antioxidant power of ten lemons, even though lemon juice is not at all alkaline, on the contrary extremely acidic (pH 2,4). Such a comparison is not convincing but rather proves the opposite.”
Bartos has indeed understood that a lemon is not alkaline (alkaline acting foods). But because lemons contain citric and ascorbic acid (vitamin C), they are very rich in antioxidants, although not nearly as rich as alkaline activated water.
But he has confused sour lemons with rusty screws. Because the antioxidant power of alkaline activated water is in a class of its own that is completely independent of the alkaline character of water. Using electrolysis you can even produce an acidic or neutral water with antioxidant properties . So Bartos has not understood at all the basic idea of alkaline activated water, that it can be alkaline and antioxidant simultaneously.
The core of Bartos’ thesis structure lies in his following statement: “Why “alkaline water” is not healthy.” An alkaline effect would not even go beyond the stomach, because the digestive juice of the stomach is highly acidic and would neutralize the alkaline water immediately. Rather this would weaken the gastric acid and the body would have to respond by producing more stomach acid.
To this end, I wish to highlight: Our stomach, when it is not busy digesting a meal, has a pH value of 4 which is less acidic than a glass of orange juice. Only the gastric juice, which is injected into the stomach only during food intake, has a pH of about 1,5. It is therefore about 10 x more acidic than a soda with a pH of 2,5. However, this gastric juice has a high acidic buffer so it is hardly changed by neither neutral tap water nor alkaline activated water.
This has been thoroughly researched in Russia in 1997 and confirmed scientifically. (FAQ: Russian research, stomach acid). Blocked protein digestion, pepsin inactivity, parasite promotion – everything Bartos lists, according to current scientific knowledge, has been proven wrong.
Alkaline activated water for drinking has mostly a pH of 9,5 , which the German Drinking Water Ordinance permits even for tap water. Natural waters, for example long mountain rivers such as the Inn, are often very alkaline. Water with this pH can not remotely disturb the production of gastric acid, unlike certain agents such as Alka-Seltzer or proton pump inhibitors do.
It is important that our drinking water is preferably alkaline and that we can replace the many harmful acidic drinks. This is an important, constant step towards beating hyperacidity.
Precisely for this reason are electrolysis cells in a water ionizer for drinking purposes designed, so that they produce an antioxidant alkaline water. You could also create an antioxidant neutral or acidic water, but the experience, the physiology and the flavour speak for alkaline water. But primarily with alkaline activated water its about the energy wealth in the form of a negative ORP.
If Bartos writes about the redox potential, it shows his whole misunderstanding of the relationships. The core concept of relaxation time is not even familiar to him. That alkaline activated water does not have a permanent antioxidant effect he considers a disadvantage. But precisely this is its attribute, because a fresh apple is also healthier than an old one. So its redox potential also has a relaxation time, albeit longer. Just like us when we age. With alkaline activated water we can evidently extend this process of ageing.
About the erroneously illustrated relationship by Bartos, in the context of minerals in the water and risk of heart attack, as well as the WHO assessment, please read further details under the headings: risk of heart attacks and stomach acid.
Excerpt from the book “Karl Heinz Asenbaum: Electrically activated water – An invention with extraordinary potential.”
Copyright 2016 www.euromultimedia.de
Link to this post | Bartos: Is alkaline, ionized water unhealthy?
Sandra P.: On the webpage www.misterwater.eu I had 3 “secret water reports” sent to me. In the third part of the secret report it advises heavily against drinking alkaline activated water. Besides it I also found a 10 page report about ionized alkaline water, which dissuades heavily from drinking it.
- Such exclusive information freebies can have various reasons for being sent, for example, to gain addresses of potential clients, avoiding the publications of forbidden healing statements of own products and unpunished defamation of the competition. The website belongs to the EM Wassertechnologie GmbH, which is represented by the manager Erich Meidert. In the aforementioned secret report 3 it is about the evaluation of water filters. The company philosophy of Misterwater reveals itself on page 32. The company doesn’t sell a ready made filter system, but rather configures one from different filter components after the requirements needed on site. This is also done by water ionizer suppliers.
An optimum drinking water according to Misterwater needs:
- Germ immunity
- High oscillation energy
- Neutral to lightly alkaline pH-values
- Low mineralisation availability to cells
- Highest chemical purity
- Freedom of physical contaminant information
- On page 33 of his secret report, Meidert speaks of the improvement of the redox potential, yet doesn’t claim, how this occurs. This can be ascertained on the webpage. There we see:
- The offered filter systems are called “Futura with organic energy”, “Futura with Joana Energy”, “Cortesia with organic energy”, “Direct Flow New Generation”, “Bio Energie”, specifically “Joana Energy” and costs (published July 2013) between 1595 € and 3199 € without installation fees. The filter change flatrate is between 179 and 219 €. Along with the filter system with a germ barrier and a separate withdrawal pipe, the systems also receives an “energy-module for subtle preparation according to homeopathy” as well as a “water Alchimator device for optimal mineralization”.
- In addition Misterwater offers products named “Frequator”, frequency carriers between 830 € and 11.400 €, which in the shape of rings are laid around the water mains and frequency carriers in the shape of the symbol “flower of life” painted coasters made of aluminium-silicon called “Vivalisator” for 100 € to 209,25 €. Quote: “The Vivalisator can bring life back into your food and drinks, prolong its shelf life and make it an intensive taste experience”. “It transfers the stored natural and vitalising information to all drinks and foods that come into contact with it”. Since this might sound a bit odd to those who are not usually bustling through an esoteric trade fair, in the small print you can read that the facts are not accurate: “that the effect of the Vivalisator according to scientific criteria cannot be measured.” Audacious is the claim: “Foods can store more biophotons”, for biophotons are very scientifically measurable. Such a measurement is not put forward by Misterwater for the Vivalisator.
- On the webpage http://www.misterwater.eu/allgemein/so-wird-aus-einer-trueben-bruehe-klares-wasser.html is the application of, for example, with dialysis machines a usual super fine filtration described and then executed: “The generated water and its purity can only be compared to very few natural springs”. I have to contend that. Not one natural spring has such technically pure water. Also, what for?
- The “preparation of subtle materials” takes place with theories from Wilhelm Reich, Viktor Schauberger and George Lakhovsky, documented by water crystal photos in the style of Masaru Emoto. Water crystals don’t actually exist – they are called ice crystals – but one could have the idea that ice is completely different to drinking water. To illustrate this better please read under the article heading Töth, Ewald. Luckily here objective evidence is not missing, that none of the preparation methods lead to measurable scientific effects.
- On the page another of his pages, now not online any longer (http://www.misterwater.eu/datenblaetter/alchimatorwasser.pdf) you discover how the redox potential of water is meant to change with a device called the Alchimator. The Alchimator is a device in which water is swirled into a funnel shape, similar to a device called the Twister, which we have described in another section. It looks like a household blender which swirls water likewisely. Performance numbers like revolutions/minute etc. are not published. By swirling hexagonal structures, which are made up of 6 symmetrically arranged water molecules. About that Misterwater claims: “and exactly these structures are the ones that pass best through the water channels – aquaporins – of the cells.” (Page 11). This is a fairytale. Magically shown by Masaru Emoto’s pretty 6 edge ice crystal photos, the author seems to have completely overlooked that such a 6 edge cluster, which is a sign of very cold water, would be too large for the water channels in cells.
- These water channels, which Misterwater means, so called —>aquaporins, measuring 0,3 nano metres, are so fine, that only single water cells can pass through. They don’t give —> water clusters any kind of chance and dissolve hydrogen bonds in the water, to singularly channel the water molecules in an aligned electromagnetic field into the cell.
- On page 23 it would be: “The Alchimator delivers a neutral to alkaline water, which is still soft. The minerals, which the water absorbs during the Alchimation with the mineral ring, are big and indigestible like minerals from tap, mineral or alkaline water, instead because of the transformation of the swirling at high speeds they are small, alive and energetic.” The water swirler, as well as the swirling motion, adds minerals to the water with a mineral ring. Misterwater doesn’t specify which minerals are being dealt with and especially, why these are “big and indigestible” like “minerals from tap, mineral or alkaline water”. One would rather like to believe that water, which has worked longer than the 6 – 8 minutes in the swirler with the solution of minerals in anions and cations – natural water has had weeks to millions of years – has rather few minerals, for the full solution of minerals in water takes a substantially long time. Why certain minerals are “indigestible”, and others not, is not stated by Misterwater. Minerals are by definition a non organic material and it makes absolutely no sense to speak of indigestiblity in these terms. (Please see also Organic availability).
- On page 19 he speaks of a correlation with chelating and believes, with bioavailability the chelating of minerals is meant. Yet chelating is a method that makes non soluble materials, like heavy metals, soluble. Alkalinous and alkalines earth minerals are, as a general rule, completely soluble and therefore appear as an ionized form in water. They do not have to be chelated at all. They are already maximally bio-available, because they already exist in an ionized form!
- The proof, that Misterwater-Alchimator water fulfills the complete conditions of the drinking water regulations, is not delivered. Yet it is very unlikely, that in the aforementioned ultra filtered water, that from swirling with mineral rings so many minerals are continuously absorbed so as to reach the requisites of the drinking water norm. How many minerals dissolve when the swirler of the Alchimator is running for 2 minutes, what is to be expected with 8 minutes activity? Since minerals dissolve with varying speeds in water: Which ones are used first, which ones last? Is the Alchimator germ safe with its mineral rings? How does the Alchimator stay sterile? Misterwater still owes us these answers.
- You have learnt something of the principles of the offers from Misterwater. Neither micro filtration nor swirling is new. Water vitalization from esoteric sources have a mere entertainment value and a fairytale character. One can transmit, theoretically, binary and analogue information with water, for very short intervals it can be stored in hydrogen bonds, but definitely not in the framework of drinking water.
- Also post mineralisation for highly filtered water is very frequent. On the following webpage from Misterwater, ionized alkaline water is described as harmful: (published 28.7.2013) http://www.misterwater.eu/datenblaetter/ionisiertes_basisches_wasser_schaedlich.pdf. The cited arguements lead to Misterwater-Alchimie, yet are polemic, illusory and the main point is based on a magical world view.
- Next to the picture of a desperate looking man, sitting on the lavatory, Misterwater writes: “The Japanese health authorities, which recently still recommended drinking alkaline water from water ionizing devices, have distanced themselves from this recommendation, after many stomach and intestine problems arose from drinking this artificial and extremely treated water. “This is in all sorts of ways untrue. The Japanese health authorities have never recommended the drinking of alkaline activated water, this would be a highly partial statement in contrast to the rivaling pharmaceutical industry. Yet with extensive safety tests for treatment for stomach and intestine complaints it was permitted, not recommended. (Source: Bulletin of the Monitoring and Guidance Dept. of the Japanese Ministry of Health and Welfare, Pharmaceutical Monitoring Vol. 57, issued on October 19, 1992)
- This water for medical treatment, for which doctors in Japan are still responsible, after another regulation, devices have to be produced by a certified medicinal device manufacturer. That is why most water ionizer manufacturers, at least in Japan and Korea, have the certification and produce the devices according to the determined norms and consumer protection. About the qualification history of water ionizers in Japan, please see: http://www.3aaa.gr.jp/english/alkali/hs.html or in my book “Activated Water – an invention with extraordinary potential”. In Germany activated water was named Hydropuryl® already in 1938 and was entered in the Gehes code of pharmaceutical specialities.
- The Hydropuryl® Water was not only available in the 80’s as neutral and demineralized water but also as acidic and alkaline (base) activated water from the factory of the inventor Alfons Natterer. It’s effect was for a long time in Germany categorically analyzed and well known, before Soviet, Japanese and Korean researchers started to thoroughly go over this subject. In the USA until today no scientific explanation took place with the German invention and the activated water only found approval with Doctor Fra Albertus, who in the 60’s already tried to contact Alfons Natterer.
- On page 3 Misterwater repeats the same fairytale of the alkaline acting lemon and fantasizes with the trend of the esoteric scene about organic minerals. (Alkaline acting foods). On page 4 Misterwater plays with the term chelation. Chelation means to make water-insoluble substances with certain chemicals water soluble. Mineral substances have to be absorbed by the body yet don’t have to be made soluble, since they already are from the beginning. Also the minerals from our organic food are not dissolved by chelation, but rather by the water in the food itself. In water, minerals are the easiest and have the least digestion effort for absorbtion, because water is the main mineral transporter. So when Misterwater writes (on page 3): “Humans are designed according to their digestive system, minerals are meant to be obtained from food and not from their drinking water”, this can only be referred to as absurd.
- On pages 4/5 Misterwater presents chemical specialist terms: “In this alkaline water you have bonds like calcium hydroxide (= limestone… its main application is normally for mortar in the building industry or for its corrosive effect as a fungicide in fruit farming…), sodium hydroxide (caustic soda), potassium hydroxide (caustic potash), magnesium hydroxide (used medicinally for neutralising the stomach acids and as a laxative)”. Lay persons are astonished, yet the specialist is not surprised , for these substances are found in nearly all drinking water. However Misterwater did forget to include the abbreviation “(aq)”, with which you refer to substances not as salt, but rather are present in an aqueous solution and are therefore completely normal and harmless, even health promoting. Withheld is the main feature of alkaline activated water, namely the existence of an abnormal redox potential outside of the thermodynamic balance. –> Relaxation period.
- Caustic soda and caustic potash, according to Misterwater’s strong statement on page 5, tend to “store themselves in the tissue and joints”. A truly interesting pathology, which seems to have come from the script writer of a CSI episode, yet has nothing to do with the physiology of humans.
- From page 6 onwards the talk is about juice and weak water instead of the electron richness. This water can evoke cardiac muscle damage. The background to this I have explain under the keywords: Jan Roberts.
- Incomprehensible is the reference of Dr. Hidemitsu Hayashi, a Japanese doctor and water researcher, who through his clear articles has contributed a lot to the dissemination of alkaline activated water. His work was taken on in Germany by Dietmar Ferger and extensively featured in his book “Jungbrunnenwasser” (Fountain of Youth Water, 2011).
- The well known advocate of the exclusive reverse osmosis scene, the Frenchman L. Vincent, has unsustainable theories about water hardness, which are linked to Misterwater with a theory about the disruption of “celular redox signaling molecules”. This is based on the network marketing of ASEATM and “redox signaling molecules” is a scientifically unheard of, invented term.
- Point 8 on page 9 is, in the light of Misterwater’s filter product range, naturally no surprise. The internal filters of water ionizers are completely insuficient with over 2000 potential contaminants. This is, first of all, pure scaremongering, for potential contaminants dont harm you, only real ones and in Germany and central Europe they are more controlled than anywhere else in the world. Secondly, when in demand of a filter you can, at any time, choose a special filter or switch beforehand. The pre filter issue is an inappropriate criticism of water ionizers. Real and more detailed filter problems I have described under the keyword —> Filter. A complete con is Misterwater’s sentence: “Exactly like with the activated carbon filters, with ionizer devices the ppm values are too high.” Briefly: There are no “too high ppm values”. The extended version of this is under the keyword —> Conductance. The faked equation of ppm values with contaminants is a typical feature of —>reverse osmosis sales persons.
- Misterwater’s statements are in the German language the most fierce attacks on alkaline activated water. In English there are pages, which might have served as a model, for many, which so far were sales people for reverse osmosis devices and similar devices, are in the meantime have changed sides to water ionizers. There is also a battle between the manufacturers of such different systems. There they often roll up ones sleeves. Yet I have never seen an argument that starts with a man with his trousers down sitting on the loo.
Yesim D.: I am irritated, if I am drinking the right water, your statements are different to that of the manufacturer’s.
- Where you start doesn’t depend on the chosen levels but rather on your taste. The level is also never the gauge, unless a competent expert has set the water ionizer according to the water flow correctly for your water.
- To illustrate the point here you have an example: If you set your device in Aachen, Germany, to level 3 with a water flow of 2 litres/minute, you will obtain alkaline water with a pH value of 10. If you do the same in Würzburg, Germany, you will obtain a value of pH 8,5. The result always depends on the water source, the water flow rate and the chosen level.
- For this reason some manufacturers have placed symbols next to the operating buttons, like cooking pots, a drinking glass, pastry bowls, etc. Very misleading, since the exactly desired pH value gives the information of the water its purpose. Since most manufacturers are not bothered with the European market, these annoying pictures, which are tuned to Japanese and Korean soft water levels, are a nuisance and dum down the consumers.
- To really know what comes out of an ionizer, the delivered indicator drops for —>pH measurement is a very important utensil after the first assembly. You can ascertain how your water reacts to the device with the different levels and the different flow rate.
- For the preparation of activated alkaline drinking water a general value of pH 8,5 and 9,5 is recommended. Normal drinking water is usually at ca. pH 7,5. If you raise it to pH 8,5 it is 10 times more alkaline (10 x more OH ions), at pH 9,5 it is 100 times more alkaline. Sometimes tap water only has a pH of 6,5 or already pH 8,5. That exists in certain areas everywhere.
- Therefore you should simultaneously always measure your tap water with the drops and compare it to the ionized water. 90 % of people are enthusiastic if already at the beginning they drink 2 colour levels above the usual water. 10 % are more sensitive and prefer to drink 1 colour level higher. Let your sense of taste decide in the beginning, when you start. Yet never drink activated water above pH 9,5 without a doctor’s recommendation, for this is not suitable as drinking water.